Monday, June 29, 2009

Pot Brownies the Reggie Hubbard Way

So I just took a batch of pot brownies out of the oven and I figured what better time than to give a solid set of instructions for making a solid batch of brownies.

The first thing everyone needs to know about edibles is that you will only get as high as the weed you put in. I fucking hate when people complain about edibles, saying they didn't feel much. Then, when you ask them about it, they figure there might have been .1 or .2 grams in the brownie. If you want to be fucked up for a long time, put in at least a gram per serving. The only measure of how potent a brownie should be how much weed is in it.

The first step to any edible is to extract the active ingredients. For me, this means butter. Since I just made a batch using about 10 grams, my notes will be in reference that that, please scale accordingly.

Put 1 Stick of butter (1/2 cup) and a 1/2 cup of water in a pot and put it on simmer then add your weed. I don't like using more than a half ounce per stick of butter for the sake of space in the mixture. The pot should be ground as finely as possible; I use a coffee grinder. You want to leave the mixture simmering very lightly in the pot for about 2 hours. Make sure the water has all evaporated. At this point you can strain the mixture but I just leave the bud in there.

As a lazy stoner who doesn't want more than one pot to clean, I just add in the rest of my brownie ingredients into the same pot I used to make the butter. While it is still melted, add 1 cup of sugar and a splash of vanilla. Mix that together and then mix in 2 eggs. Sift together a half-cup of flour, a quarter to half a cup of cocoa powder (depending on how chocolate-y you want them), and a half teaspoon of baking powder. Stir everything together and add chopped nuts or bits of chocolate if you so desire.

That's it. Now just put them in a greased baking pan and let go for 25-35 minutes. Use less time if you're going to eat them right away and want a fudgie brownie. Use more time if you plan on storing them.

I let my brownies cook completely and once out of the over and cooled, I cut them and individually wrap them in foil before putting them all in a big freezer bag and putting that in the freezer. A pot brownie will keep in the freezer for a couple of months without losing potency. I like cutting them quite small so I can decide if I just want a little pick-me-up with one brownie or to be mega-stoned and take 2 or 6.

I hope this helps you out in your quest to make some baked goods and become baked yourself.

Peace, Love, and Brownies,
Reggie

1 comment:

  1. an alternative to letting the water evaporate is cooking the mixture of butter, water, and herbs at a very low heat for ~2hrs (as you said) with a lid on and then putting that in the fridge afterwards. after the mixture has cooled, the butter will seperate from the water and you wont have risked evaporating any precious chemicals away :) also if you do it this way its easy to strain the whole mixture before refrigeration to get the plant matter out

    ReplyDelete